I'm currently placing a raspberry pi and an AR1010 based radio chip into the housing of a blaupunkt car radio from the 60ties for my friends VW typ 3 wilson. To mount the electronic parts I printed a bunch of spacers which I created using openscad.
Today I worked on the RGB led that is going to replace the small lamp that lights the display of my rapspberry pi based car radio for cheri´s VW type 3 wilson
I used an attiny 2313 to control the led. I will interface the microcontroller with I2C and connect the 5 buttons tomorrow
this is my day 19 project for 30daysOfCreativity
For my Raspberry PI based car-radio that lives in the housing of a blaupunkt radio from the sixties I needed to interface a variable resistor from my pi. Unfortunately the rapsberry pi has no ADC for the GPIO pins so I added a small ATTiny running the arduino-tiny firmware to read the analog values. The ATTiny is programmed as a I2C slave and is accessed in the same way as the radio part of the project.
you can find a tutorial on how to install and run the arduino-tiny firmware here
and you can find the I2C slave library for the attiny chips here
this is my day 18 project for 30daysofcreativity
read more ...
Today I started working on the radio part of the raspberry pi radio. I hooked up an AR1010 based breakout board from sparkfun to the i2c ports of the raspberry pi and wrote a short python program to initialize the chip and tune it to a radio station.
It took me a while to figure out how to access the chip and after searching through tons of tutorials example-code and a really really really extremely bad datasheet I finally managed to get my code running.
The main reason why it didn´t work in the beginning was that I didn´t recognize that the smbus library sends long values in LSB,MSB order while the AR1010 wants them in MSB,LSB order :-/. Who would have thought that the littleendian/bigendian thing still exists in 2013
read more ...
Today I managed to get the wlan part of the raspberry pi based car radio for my friends typ 3 wilson working. I used a R8187U based wlan stick from belkin (Belkin N150 WLAN USB-Adapter) and configured an ad-hoc network. I initially intended to create a wlan access point like described here, but I hostapd didn´t want to cooperate :-/
read more ...
Today I´ve set up the airplay part of the raspberry pi car radio for my friends typ 3 wilson I have used this tutorial. I also planned to configure the accesspoint part but unfortunately my rtl8187 based wlan usb stick doesn´t support the master mode, so I will have to get a new wlan card tomorrow.
This is my Day 9 project for 30daysofcreativity
Click here to read part 1 of this project
A friend of mine needed a radio for his typ3 wilson. Unfortunately the Blaupunkt car radio only receives LF and MF radio stations. So we decided to fit a raspberry pi and a amplifier into the housing of the radio and use the switches and turning knobs to interact with the raspberry.
The plan is to create a WLAN access point using the PI which also acts as an airplay access point to stream music from an iphone to the cars speakers
So far I have stripped the electronic parts from the radio and started gathering the materials needed for the access point
This is my Day 8 project for 30daysofcreativity
I have realized that I haven´t done anything with openframeworks for ages. Which is kind of sad because I really like the framework. So I took my PI and installed openframeworks using this instruction from the openframeWorks-RaspberryPI fork on github
Compiling openFrameworks on a PI took a while but after it finished I was able to compile and run my boid sketch without modifications.
Here is a photo of my pi running the swarm demo