Since I haven't used Processing in a while, I dusted of my processing installation (and upgraded it to the latest version) and started to make some animations. I wanted to create an animation that morphes between random states of a parameterset over a random time periode, then stay at that state for some time and repeat ad infinitum. I implemented a similar state morphing system for a fractal in ronin a while ago and wanted to port it to processing. what could go wrong - right?
The base sketch I wanted to morph was a flower like shape that uses polar coordinates to modulate the radius of a bunch of small circles that are placed in a circle. Each target state that is held for some time should be a whole number multiple of the radius so that the modulations fit on a circle wihout jumps.
I implemented the drawing function and a first very simple state morphing system that is a direct port from my ronin sketch. There I simply interpolate between two states of a parameter over a given time
p = p1 + currenttime(p2 - p1)/periode
well that worked ok for the fractal curves i used id for in my last sketch, but since I used it here to do some modulations on a circular shape using polar coordinates the shape started to look really ugly when my parameter had some inbetween states that results in a fractual number. Hrmpf.
so back to the drawing board. Directly morphing the parameters and then calculating the position of the circles didn't work as expected.
After some experimenting I ended up at linear interpolation of the resulting circle positions that are calculated from the parametersets instead of morphing the paramters themslef. This way i can always use whole numbers as start and end values for a transition and no inbetween states that result in hard jumps are generated
lessions learned: simply morphing between states by blending parameters is fine in cartesian space - but results in wired transitions when polar coordinates or rotations are involved.
If you want to experiment with my state changing phase flower you can run it here.
click here to start the sketch or download the sourcecode.read more ...
Since my Strawberry plant started blossoming recently, I played with my macro lenses
read more ...
I created another set of images to hang on my livingroom wall. Here is an example of the generated images and the code of the sketch I used
The code creates a petal with no stroke and an pastel fill color and then redraws the shape 3 times without a fill color.read more ...
My latest processing sketch uses the arc command to create flowers. I use 20 arcs and control their angle with the x axis of the mouse. The arcs grow at different speeds and on random sides of the flower to create the petals.
Click on the sketch to create a new flower and move the mouse to let it bloom.
today i made a picture of the first snowdrop this year. the picture was shot with my new mobile phone (K550i - has a realy nice 2 megapixel cam with autofocus)
read more ...
__ __/ \__ / \__/ \ () \__/ \__/ O//)- / \__/ \ () \__/ \__/ \__/ || __ || / /| || / / | ||/ / / || / / ||/_/read more ...