Since I haven't used Processing in a while, I dusted of my processing installation (and upgraded it to the latest version) and started to make some animations. I wanted to create an animation that morphes between random states of a parameterset over a random time periode, then stay at that state for some time and repeat ad infinitum. I implemented a similar state morphing system for a fractal in ronin a while ago and wanted to port it to processing. what could go wrong - right?
The base sketch I wanted to morph was a flower like shape that uses polar coordinates to modulate the radius of a bunch of small circles that are placed in a circle. Each target state that is held for some time should be a whole number multiple of the radius so that the modulations fit on a circle wihout jumps.
I implemented the drawing function and a first very simple state morphing system that is a direct port from my ronin sketch. There I simply interpolate between two states of a parameter over a given time
p = p1 + currenttime(p2 - p1)/periode
well that worked ok for the fractal curves i used id for in my last sketch, but since I used it here to do some modulations on a circular shape using polar coordinates the shape started to look really ugly when my parameter had some inbetween states that results in a fractual number. Hrmpf.
so back to the drawing board. Directly morphing the parameters and then calculating the position of the circles didn't work as expected.
After some experimenting I ended up at linear interpolation of the resulting circle positions that are calculated from the parametersets instead of morphing the paramters themslef. This way i can always use whole numbers as start and end values for a transition and no inbetween states that result in hard jumps are generated
lessions learned: simply morphing between states by blending parameters is fine in cartesian space - but results in wired transitions when polar coordinates or rotations are involved.
If you want to experiment with my state changing phase flower you can run it here.
click here to start the sketch or download the sourcecode.read more ...
During my homeoffice phase one of my USB-Sticks brock - not a big thing I usually would simply go to a store an buy a new one - especially since this was a very cheap noname USB-Stick. But on the other hand it really anoyed me - there was only a little bit of plastick inside the housing that broke that rendered the stick basically useless because whenever you tried to plug it in it completely dissapeared inside.
Since I had some files on the stick I really needed, I removed the housing and used it for a few days without it - which worked perfectly fine - but felt really brittle and I didn't like pulling directly on the circuit board.
After a few days feeling a little bit angry about how cheapt the plastick enclosure was made and that it was obviously designed as a throw-away product, I decided to repair instead of replacing it and turn it into something like this
read more ...
I made a visualizer for my track Time Perception in processing.
To create the bands I used a noisefield and used the current position of a particle to determine the new position. the index in the array of positions was used as the z-axis. So I basically created a noisefield particle animation but instead of drawing the points moving in time - i used "time" as the z-axis.
to create the 3D bands I simply activated
hint(ENABLE_STROKE_PERSPECTIVE); in my setup() method
everything is flowing, existing structure is dissolving, time perception is completely off - days have passed but you still feel like your stuck at the beginning
read more ...
I finished my final version of the Zynthian housing! I went for a spring-theme and spraypainted the housing in green and the lid black to give it a little bit of contrast. And since I start to get wired ideas from all the home office, pandemic isolation, video conferences, and whatnot I also added little flowers. Because why not :-)
The hardware is done now - onward to the software adventures! I already started playing with the sample packs that are part of the zynthian project and the dexed lv2 synth - but i still have "adding pd and supercollider patches" on my my todo list.
I also plan to record a video and post some sound demos on soundcloud soon.read more ...
I got my Synth.BT package from the kickstarter I participated a while ago on monday - so yesterday I soldered, cut and sanded my passive modular helper thingies and printed the official box for them :-)
Can't wait to use them in a Patch - so music is in the making ;-)
read more ...